Monday 12 March 2012

Fashion in 1912 - The Titanic Project

I have put my hand up to be part of this project.

vpll1912project.org


It all began with a holiday

Umm.
How do I get photos from my phone onto my blog?
Something for me to Google!

 A holiday trip to the Gold Coast was enhanced by the unexpected arrival of Gertie.
Her presence at the resort did however, draw more than a few puzzled looks from other guests as she was helped out of the car and into the lift by my husband, Rod.
Gertie was bound to draw attention with that perfect size 12 figure….Oh…and by the fact that she was completely naked.

I lent Gertie some clothes so that she could get out and about and enjoy the views and in return for this favour she agreed to be my dress model.

And so the princess petticoat from the VPLL 1912 project was to be Gertie’s first outfit.




Gertie on the balcony checking out the surf.



The Vintage Pattern Lending Library is based in the USA.  It lends and sells vintage patterns. When owner Janyce Hill, from Oakland California put the word out that she would like people to test patterns and provide feedback she did not expect to get over 400 responses.

I received my first pattern via the internet as a .PDF download.
I was able to easily print this out onto A4 paper and tape the sheets together to give me a full sized pattern. This was then traced out to give me four separate pattern pieces.


I have always thought it would be nice to own one of those white lacy French styled night gowns but thought they were a bit expensive at around $80 dollars.
Why would I bother when I could make it myself!

So off I went and bought 100% cotton fabric and lace.
When the adrenaline rush had subsided and I added up the cost of the 15+  metres of lace plus fabric, it was costing me over $80 for the materials!    
                                                                               
  
At this point I decided to put my purchases aside and make a toile out of a sheet I had purchased at an op-shop for a mere $2.50. The pattern I had received was not my size and I really just needed to see how it came together before I started messing with the sizing.


The princess line petticoat is very simple to put together and I was tempted to make it up without the lace inserts, as lace is expensive. Oh, did I mention that already!



Second thoughts had me realising I needed to experience the insertion of lace. 
The only lace I had on hand, of any substantial length, was a very narrow nylon lace. I decided that it would be simple enough to sew 4 lengths of lace together to give me a 1 inch wide lace. 

WRONG! 

It moved all over the place but eventually I had enough sewn together to give me one strip of lace. The lace cost me nothing as it came from my stash. Well, almost nothing…just 3 sessions at the physio for neck pain, eye drops and regular doses of pain killers or was it blood pressure tablets?




1 comment:

  1. looking forward to seeing your finished slip - it is definitely better to have wider lace as it makes the turnings very fiddly if not. When I made my version of the slip I used 3/4 inch lace and the turnings were a huge challenge to the eyesight. I am in the titanic project group 3 too - itching to receive our 'own' pattern challenge!

    C

    ReplyDelete